Saturday, January 31, 2009

I, Pilgrim



















I, pilgrim
wandering soul
reaching forward
palm to palm
from a hero's pose
I kiss the holy bridge
where loving souls of saints
have trod before me
Palm to stone
this moment joins lives now,
lives then,
now again
My benediction
a font of loving praise
for those before,
after
Who wander the bridge

Barbara Butler McCoy

[This photo shows the underside of a bridge
crossing the Chattahoochee River in Fulton county.
It evokes a medieval cathedral to me, one likely reached
across a bridge.]

2 comments:

Di Mackey said...

I love the poem! Love it!

Have you been to Rome?
The bridge in my photograph is Ponte Sant'Angelo - Bridge of the Saints, Rome.

It takes you to Hadrian's Tomb - Castel Sant'Angelo and your poem is so perfectly perfect for it.

Hadrian built it across the Tiber in 136, as an approach to his mausoleum. Bernini's beautiful angels were added in the 17th century and it's is surely one of my favourite parts of Rome.

Perfect poem. It will go into my journal, if that's okay. xo

Barbara Butler McCoy said...

Perfect poem? How 'bout perfect synchronicity? The poem was inspired in part by a dream I had yesterday morning in which I approached a castle by crossing a bridge; that was the image in my mind as I wrote today. I've never been to Rome so I had no frame of reference for such a castle or bridge. Wow.

Thank you for the honor of having my poem in your journal. Namaste.