Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Outpost



















I am come here
Forgotten outpost
Roof open to the sky
Open to celestial light

Notes for the ear
Whispers from a ghost
Music to make you cry
Music, river, dancing light

Roses, too, hear
Climbing round a post
Scent to falls will fly
Perfume river at cloud height


Then from your bower
Mandalas composed
Your sand tossed up to fly
Testament of your truth, might

Your light so clear
Here I am to toast
Here you run and meet sky
Here I find celestial sight

Barbara Butler McCoy


[I am enchanted by the work of Robert Hite. This structure, whatever it may be, I found along the canal in Augusta in October '08. All this time I have sought a poem for it and today I found the one.]

1 comment:

BrianC said...

Hmmmmm, I have no idea what this could be, even in the context of a canal. Maybe an observation station? A place where weather measurements were taken? Could there have been a signal beacon on top, a canal equivalent of a lighthouse?